Deadline Friday for Cuba pilgrimage
Pope heading to Cuba in March
Published On: Feb 01 2012 08:27:42 AM EST Updated On: Feb 01 2012 09:03:57 AM EST
Friday is the deadline for anyone interested in joining Archbishop Thomas Wenski on a historic pilgrimage to Cuba.
In January, Wenski announced he would be leading a group of Catholics from South Florida to Cuba to attended the masses given by Pope Benedict XVI. The pope will be in Cuba this spring. He is the second pontiff to visit the island since Pope John Paul II in 1998.
The 1998 trip carried much opposition, unlike this year's announcement. Archbishop Wenski hopes enough Catholics would want to come to fill at least two airplanes.
If you are interested in joining the trip to Cuba, Cuba2012.org will be accepting applications for the pilgrimage Friday, Feb. 3rd. The pilgrimage departs from Miami on Monday, March 26.
The itinerary is as follows:
- March 26 - Departure from Miami to Santiago. The group will travel by bus to the "Plaza de la Revolucion Antonio Maceo" where Pope Benedict XVI will celebrate Mass for the Solemnity of the Annunciation. After Mass, the group will travel by air to Havana.
- March 27 - The group will be in Havana for a Mass at the cathedral with Archbishop Thomas Wenski.
- March 28 - The group will travel by bus to the "Plaza de la Revolucion Jose Marti" where Pope Benedict XVI will celebrate Mass.
- March 29 - Departure from Havana to Miami.
The pope's visit comes in celebration of the 400th anniversary of the discovery of the statue of the Virgin of Charity, patroness of Cuba.
- Copyright 2012 by Post Newsweek. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.